Cycling Etiquette during the COVID Pandemic.
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by the Coronavirus discovered in early 2020. Its impact on the world we live in needs no real introduction. For most of us, wearing a mask and social distancing were alien concepts prior to the start of the Pandemic. These concepts are now part of our everyday routines in our efforts to prevent the spread of the virus.
Preventing the spread of the COVID virus has changed the way we prepare for a ride and the ride itself. Below we will look at both Cycling Etiquette during the Pandemic and the measures we at Road Bike Rental Japan have taken to reduce the spread of the virus.
Lots has been said for the positive benefits of cycling during the pandemic. Keeping fit and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is one of the obvious reasons but it’s also well documented that cycling promotes positive mental health and reduces anxiety that can lead to depression (Science Direct). In these dark times, cycling and all forms of exercise can be somewhat of a tonic.
While we want to encourage people to ride and enjoy the benefits of cycling, we kindly ask that riders consider the following:
Listen & Monitor
Checking the number of daily infections in the local area has almost become part of the daily routine. Listen to the guidelines and the advice of the local health authorities before planning rides.
Check your symptoms and those you are living with. How are you feeling? Don't take any risks if you are displaying any minor symptoms.
Cover your mouth and nose with breathable neckwear. It can be difficult to breathe wearing a standard face mask during rides. There are a few associated risks from wearing standard masks, such as heatstroke or visibility issues caused by sunglasses fogging up so please take care.
Maintain basic hygiene measures such as washing hands and rinsing your mouth before, throughout and after your ride. Use the disinfectant hand dispensers when available.
Keep Your Distance
Keep your distance! Whether in a group ride or solo ride, it's still prudent to keep at least 2 metres apart from other cyclists and pedestrians.
Not everyone likes solo rides but these along with indoor cycling are the best ways to minimise the potential spread of the virus. If you prefer to ride in a group then keep the group to a minimum and follow local authority guidelines. Even in group rides, social distancing rules should still apply.
Measures at Road Bike Rental Japan
- Bikes may not be available during periods of high infection rates.
- We are not conducting any Tours and our staff are only present on days when Rental Reservations have been made in advance.
- To minimise contact with other clients, we are scheduling Pick Up times in 15 minute segments.
- Bikes are regularly washed and handlebars/grips/shifters etc are wiped with disinfectant before each ride.
- We no longer provide Bidons (Water bottles) for riders.
- Our staff will wear masks and regularly wash their hands.
- Our shop will be well ventilated and surfaces will be wiped frequently.
- Please clean your hands often. Use soap and water, or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Maintain a safe distance from anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Wear a mask when physical distancing is not possible.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cover your nose and mouth with your bent elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention.
Protect yourself and those around you by knowing the facts and taking appropriate measures. Stay safe!